Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lessons learned

This weekend has gone by so fast and I still have a super load of work to get done, but that seems to be the story of my life this semester.  And, I've realized that I have trouble sleeping a lot because I'm writing the next blog post in my head or I'm planning lessons, so I've started keeping a notepad by my bed so that I write it down and can tell my brain to "shut up!" and finally go to sleep.

The lesson from last Thursday is that I should never eat the boneless wings from Bdubs (Buffalo Wild Wings), even though I happen to love them.  GI wasn't feeling so hot after that, and of course there goes my energy for the weekend because the equation goes like this:
(BDubs boneless = dairy + my GI system = pain + micro damage in intestines = energy usage to repair = I have no extra energy)
So.... don't ever let me eat breaded anything without checking with the kitchen how they are made, and don't ever let me eat the boneless wings from Bdubs.

Friday after school I drove up to DC, waved to all the people stuck in traffic going the other direction, then promptly got stuck in traffic myself. Ha. The metro train was going faster than me. Finally got to Georgetown, picked up Annalisa from her open house day at Georgetown, found a parking spot in Georgetown, cursed the people who decided to use SUVs in Georgetown (they really should limit transportation to only SMARTcars) and we went and got Vietnamese for dinner on M St.  The restaurant was pricy and the food was ok.  Lesson learned = everything in Georgetown is expensive.  Having used dinner to also let traffic die down, we then drove down to Alexandria to say at my aunt and uncle's for the night.  They have a townhouse in Old Town and during our conversations I learned several things about Faye that I had never known before.  1) She was born in England and then moved to Australia (I thought she was an Aussie through and through, and 2) she was an English major in college, so she and Annalisa had a lot to talk about.

Saturday A and I headed out after breakfast to look at two apartments that we had found in Arlington.  We've pretty much decided that we want to live in Arlington because there are more young people and it's closer to G-town for A.  The first place, called Ballston Park is right near my friend Sara's house and I had always thought they looked sketchy, but the pictures on the web look so much nicer, and I didn't realize they were the same place.  We looked at one apartment, about 850 sqft and figured out that it had never left the 1950s.  We also didn't exactly feel as safe in the area as we wanted, especially if A is going to be coming back from class at 11:30pm, and it was a good walk from the metro.  We then had lunch, did some work sitting in Panera and then walked around to find names of apartment buildings.  Our second appointment was even further from the metro in a community called Arlington Oaks, and again, 1950s syndrome.  Plus the current homeowner was looking for the next people, not the central office which raised some red flags in my head.  I think we need to look for something that was built after 1980,  and I'm going to be stuck up here, but I want laundry in my apartment/house.  Deal breaker there.  The lessons learned are that we need to raise our price expectations for 2 people (hard for a grad student and a teacher still looking for a job) or we need to find a 3rd person who is a clone of us so that we can find a small house.  Hoping for one of those other 20 English MA students... When I got back to JMU last night I did find some houses that would work for 3 people, score!  Now to find that third person.

Now for the last lesson of the weekend.  I am a very responsible person and when I make plans with other people I make sure that it is going to work out and there are no other plans that could overlap.  Because of my personality I expect that everyone else does the same thing.  (One of the reasons why I'm an ISTJ (refer to paragraph 5 in the link).  However, I'm slowly learning that others do not think the same way, and may respond to my "let's hang out" with "sounds great" but allow for some overlap.  I don't think there's a problem with that at all, things come up and things take longer than expected.  Sometimes I just wish that other people had the calendar mindset that I do so that I don't end up getting disappointed.  Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of incidents of this happening.  I think this weekend just made me realize why I always get disappointed when it does.  The lesson for me is that things don't always work out because everyone is different and I guess the lesson for anyone reading this is: when we make plans, make sure to phrase things in a way that if you're 100% on and it's on the calendar and won't change then tell me, but if you'd love to do it but have XYZ going on and it may not work out, that'd be great to tell me too.  Especially if I've had any dairy in the last week because I'll be more tired and less understanding.  :o)

Phew, lots of lessons, now it's time to go write some lessons for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment