Thursday, August 9, 2012

What Teachers do over the Summer

When meeting people and they find out I'm a teacher, they always say we're so lucky to have summers off, how could we get bored?  So, here's what teachers (from my experience) do over the summer:

1. Sleep.  Lots of sleep.  Especially after the end of the year when kids are tired, admin is tired, teachers are tired and emotions are running high.  We need the first couple days/weeks to recharge after the craziness of the end of the year.

2. Travel.  Right after school ended (maybe too soon after) I headed to Chicago to see friends, then NYC to see family, back to DC, then home for the 4th of July.  After a bit in DC, I headed to NC for my Gpa's naming ceremony and the beach!  I had a couple more days at home in early August, and weddings on the next two weekends.

One of my co-workers Susan applied for and went on a fabulous trip to China for 2 weeks this summer.  I can't wait to see her pictures and see the ideas she developed for her classroom!

3. Learn new things related to content.  This could include taking a course, going to a conference, reading a new book (like American Colonies, I Read It But Don't Get It, Why Don't Students Like School), discovering new websites (like pinterest!), and many other things!

4. Planning for next year.  I've spent time redoing my first two units of World 2, as well as creating new IDs and HW Quizzes for the first 2 units of APUSH, and started on Unit 3 this morning!  Only 7 more units of APUSH and 12 more of World 2 to go!

5. Read some non-school related books!  Especially the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series...

6. Have fun!  Go see movies, hang out with friends, craft (make stuff for the house), remodel your house (like my co-worker Andrew), explore a new part of the city, compete in an irish dance competition, play bocce, etc.

Before you know it, workdays will start and then school is just a week away!

No comments:

Post a Comment