Thursday, October 10, 2013

Crazy Teacher

Some days I feel like I'm going crazy, like when kids walk into my classroom expecting a quiz that I totally forgot to make copies for.  Then I think about everything I need to do to be a good teacher, and realize that I have to have 2,586 browser tabs open in my brain at all times and know what is on each of them.

I can see where a lot of the frustration with the education system is coming from because our job is full of stressers, little things that together add up to big things and keeping track of everything that needs to get done seems impossible sometimes....like:
-grading for all five periods
-planning for 2 preps and making sure that a) I'm a week (or at least a day) ahead, b) everything is copied in time and c) enough copies are made
-wondering whether we have paper this week or do I need to go buy more with my personal money
-making sure that things from last year are up to date and the rigor has been increased from standard level (what I taught last year) to honors (what I'm teaching this year)
-looking through my binders and digital documents to see what's next, trying to stay a unit ahead
-making new tests for honors classes
-coordinating with the other honors teachers so we stay on the same pacing
-coordinating with the other APUSH teachers so we stay on the same pacing
-keeping track of absent kids and what they need to make up
-keeping track of failing kids and what they need to make up
-contacting parents of failing kids, as well as their counselors and administrator
-posting everything to Blackboard on time and keeping it updated
-podcasting my AP lectures and remembering to post them
-keeping track of the honor society dues and membership, plus meeting with officers
-creating and updating agendas for both teaching teams
-adding resources to the team notebook so that we have lots of resources to share when we get stuck
-praying that the dvd will work in my computer, and if not, that I can remember how to work the TV to play the DVD without a remote
-entering grades into the digital grade book
-taking attendance every period which can take 2-3 minutes if the server is having a rough day
-attending team meetings and department meetings and faculty meetings (finally the number is reduced)
-entering due dates on each class calendar, and posting them in the classroom
-going to observe other teachers teach (now once per quarter instead of twice)
-figuring out which copy machines are working in the building and which aren't
-using e-cart (Horizons) to give test and quizzes, remembering to open them or print special scantrons, opening the right one, working with an outdated system that is SSSLLLLOOOOWWWWW...
-evaluating the data to see which kids need help or which topics need to be retaught after every test
-tracking down the kids that need remediation after a failed test and spending time to remediate them
-keeping track of data for our smart goal for evaluation
-filling out all the evaluation forms and coming up with an individual goal for the year
-keeping track of data for the 21st century skills (being able to show I'm teaching critical thinking skills in class)
-writing out narratives for IEP and 504 renewals and then attending the meetings
-writing college recs for former students (or boy scout/governor's school/camp recs)
-reading new content to learn more so I can answer questions asked
-making sure things are announced in time, like application due dates for honors societies and tests
-merging the millions of test questions into a test bank that can create versions of tests
-creating keys for each test or quiz (and versions)
-actually teaching each class period

not to mention what I love to do and why I'm in this job right now...
-working individually with students who are struggling
-celebrating the accomplishments of students who are succeeding
-getting to know all 155 students that I have this year

It's a wonder that a) anyone teaches and not surprising that b) many teachers leave after 3-5 years.
(And I'm at an affluent school with amazing kids and amazing co-workers!)

*A little background for those not familiar... I have the kind of kids who have helicopter parents, who can afford tutors and review books, but that also leads to larger cases of anxiety and depression.  The majority want to succeed and it's awesome to see that attitude and see them succeed.  There's a lot of pressure here to take as many AP classes as you can, and our AP kids do well, we had an 89% pass rate last year, and our kids do well on the SOL (state test) with a school average of 96%.  We don't have many ESOL (ESL/LEP etc) students, but that population is growing and we're in the process of learning how to support them better because we're great at supporting the high achievers, not always to the benefit of the middle ground.  No school is perfect, but I think we're a pretty good school.

No comments:

Post a Comment