Thursday, March 20, 2014

Vegan Challenge Days 7-10

Sunday 3/16, Day 7
DC St. Patrick's Day Parade time!  Soy yogurt breakfast, so kept with the challenge for that, then headed downtown to dance.
ONJ School of Irish Dance after the parade

After the parade we headed to Hoban's in Dupont where there was nothing vegan on the menu, nor any easy vegetarian to work with my dairy allergy, so I had a burger without the bun.  Can't win at some restaurants.

Monday 3/17, Day 8
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
I was able to keep with the challenge in the morning, cereal for breakfast and some of the leftover slaw and tofu for lunch.  But then in honor of my favorite meal ever (I ask for it on my birthday too) I made corned beef with a ruby glaze, mashed potatoes and sautéed brussel sprouts for dinner with my roomies and the BF.   Oh lordy, it made my mouth sing!  Seriously the glaze is everything in that dish.



Corned Beef with Ruby Glaze

ingredients

10 pound fresh corned beef-soaked overnight before doing recipe
2 onions
8 whole cloves
2 large carrots, cut into 2-inches
2-3 large celery stalks, cut into 2-inches
6 cloves of garlic
12 peppercorns
Port and Ruby Currant sauce:
half cup ruby port
2 cups red currant jelly
half cup finely chopped shallots
quarter cup fresh lemon juice
quarter cup fresh orange juice
4-5 tsp grated lemon peel
1 Tblsp grated orange peel
1 Tblsp dry mustard
1-2 tsp ground ginger
1-2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
half tsp salt
half cup coarse-grained mustard
half cup firmly packed brown sugar

preparation

BEEF PREPARATION: Day 1: Soak beef overnight before doinbg recipe. Day 2: Place beef in heavy large pot. Stud each onion with 4 cloves. Add to pot with carrots, celery, garlic and peppercorns. Cover with water. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 3 and a half hours, turning beef every hour. (This can be done a day ahead. Just refrigerate beef in liquid and bring to room temperature before baking. It can also be done in the crockpot on low heat for 8 hours, which is what I did this year.)

SAUCE: Combine first 11 sauce ingredients in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until jelly is melted. Let cool for thirty minutes or more. (This, too, can be done a day ahead.)

BAKING: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Drain beef and pat dry. Place fat side up in large roasting pan. Cut off any excess fat and discard. Spread the coarse grained mustard over beef. Pour 2 and a half cups sauce over beef. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake until beef is glazed a deep rich brown-about 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes. Transfer to a large serving platter. Spoon sauce over top. Also remember to use the drippings on the bottom of the pan for glaze. Serve immediately, using remaining sauce separately. ENJOY!! 


It's a time consuming meal to make, but oh so worth it.  I even ended up having two meals of left overs...my last cheats for a while in the challenge!



Tuesday 3/18, Day 9
I had so much extra food that I was able to eat left overs for lunch and dinner, a spinach power salad from Traders Joes for lunch that I still had and needed to eat, and then some simple minestrone soup for dinner as I wasn't that hungry.  I do snack all day and have a drawer full of food in my desk at school (hint: it's the biggest drawer) and have some trail mix, apricots and those lovely peanut butter filled pretzels from Trader Joes.

Wednesday 3/19, Day 10
Breakfast has been easy so I'll stop commenting on that unless it's anything other than oatmeal (although I started to put chia seeds in them and it helps to get me through the morning!), cereal with almond milk or soy yogurt with fruit and granola.  Lunch was the last of the slaw and tofu from Friday night, and then left over corned beef for dinner before dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment