Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Moroccan Tagine

I found this recipe for a Moroccan Chicken Tagine in one of my Cooking Light Magazines and it was a hit, the second time I made it.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 2 1/2 cups chopped skinless, boneless chicken breast
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1 cup uncooked couscous
  • 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
Preparation

Combine salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and red pepper. Sprinkle mixture over chicken. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Sauté chicken 4 minutes. Stir in butternut squash, chicken broth, chickpeas, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until squash is tender. Combine boiling water and couscous. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in almonds and orange rind.

After the first try I learned that butternut squash doesn't cook in 5 minutes...more like 12-15 at least on my stove, so my solution was to microwave it for 2-3 minutes before adding it to the pan. I also doubled the spices as I seem to like things more flavorful than magazines make them.  For fall flavors, I used cauliflower, butternut squash and carrots, omitting the tomatoes, and it was just as good.  Quick and easy weeknight meal that makes plenty of left-overs for lunches during the week!


No comments:

Post a Comment