Sunday, August 23, 2015

What to do with a forgotten pound of carrots...

I was cleaning out the fridge when I discovered to my chagrin that I had a forgotten pound of carrots in the back for over a month that needed to be eaten quickly as they were on their last legs. My first thought was these carrot cake power bites that I found on the kitchn yesterday. They look delicious and would be great to take to work to snack on during long meetings of "welcome back teachers time!" but I decided they looked too sweet for what I wanted, and I didn't feel like getting out the food processor from the top of the closet. Also having an abundance of oats, I looked for recipes for carrot oatmeal muffins and found one from Kitchen Confidante that was not huge on the sugar and had the most carrot.

Carrot Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrots (that's about 5-6 large carrots)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (didn't have, oops, so I found out that you can use more baking powder in a 1:4 baking soda to baking powder ratio)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 c. raisins

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°.  Use muffin tin liners or a light coating of cooking spray.

Grate your carrots!  It's a good arm work out...can you do it with both hands?  Then in a medium bowl add sugars, oil and egg to the carrots and mix well.  In a large bowl mix flour, oats, baking powder (and soda if you have it), the rest of the ingredients and I added about 1/4 cup of raisins.  Mix well, then add the carrot mixture to the flour mixture and combine well.

(*I've discovered that recipes that split the wet and dry ingredients don't ever tell you the bowl sizes so I always end up with the wet stuff in the big bowl and then have to either wash bowls half way through, or dirty a third bowl.  Lesson learned...wet in a medium bowl, dry in my favorite big bowl.)

Divide the batter evenly in the muffin pan until about 2/3 full.

Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!
I had some extra batter, so why not make a loaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment