Sunday, February 6, 2011

Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in

I've been thinking a lot about relationships lately especially with everything going on in my life, from my grandfather in the process of dying right now, to everything that happened in DC and to watching No Strings Attached last night.  (Great movie, you should see it!)  What I've realized from everything going on is how important honest communication is, and how much relationships mean to your quality of life.  I've realized how little I know about my grandfather because I'm one of the younger grandchildren and didn't get to have the same experiences with him as my older cousins did.  Because of those times together, they have a better relationship and understanding of him, which may mean that they are more affected by his impending death, but they'll also have better memories.  I've also realized lately how much loneliness and the feeling of abandonment affect people, but that makes it all the more important to be honest and tell people what's going on in your life, even if it is sometimes really personal.  That's part of living in community, something from the Wesley House that we tried to emphasize and something that I've noticed that RISE does as well.  I think if everyone had been more honest with each other about how they were feeling and what was going on in their lives then the whole uproar from earlier Thursday/Friday would have been less hurtful and less dramatic.  When you're feeling lonely, tell people what you need to feel whole again.  I think if more people in the world did this then we would have less depression and messed up lives.  I think it's also important to remember that when someone tells you that they're going through something, it's our jobs as brothers and sisters of the human race to support each other and help each other.  That goes with trying not to judge people when they are being honest with you.  All of this is especially important to remember as Valentine's Day approaches.  Don't just celebrate the romantic relationships in your life, celebrate the relationships that bring you to life and cure your loneliness.  I saw the need for this honest communication in the movie No Strings Attached last night.  Not only was it discussing honest communication with others, but honest communication with yourself about what you want and need.  Emma was not honest with Adam about her feelings because she was scared of being hurt, which I completely understand, but not being honest and not communicating only increased her loneliness and isolation.  So please, try to be honest with people about what you need, whether they're friends or lovers or family, and then listen to what they need too.  I'll leave you with 2 quotes that I think speak to this post.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

May today there be peace within.  May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.  May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.  May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.  ~St. Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment