Friday, April 10, 2015

Spinach, Pea and Canadian Bacon Quiche

After being away for the weekend I had a bunch of eggs left in the fridge that needed to be eaten sooner rather than later, so quiche they became!

I did a quick google search for times and temps and found 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes was the most common posted so I set the oven for 350.

I then defrosted half a bag of frozen spinach and some frozen peas (maybe 1/2 a cup?).  Cracked and scrambled 6 eggs (I like a bit more egg in my quiche) and added estimates of spices as follows:

  • 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper
  • 2 tsp of basil
  • 1-2 tsp of parsley
  • 1 tsp of paprika
  • 1/2 tsp of marjoram
I really just eyeballed everything, but forgot the salt and pepper.  Oops!  Rolled out the pie crust, cut up the Canadian bacon and spread it around the bottom.  Added in the spinach and peas, added more Canadian bacon (one can never have too much bacon), sprinkled on some Daiya cheese and then poured the egg mixture over top of that, trying to cover everything.  Flattened everything with the back of a spoon and into the oven for 35 minutes it went.

At 35 minutes it was still a bit "wet" looking for me, I'm all in favor of dead eggs (meaning eggs on the drier side), so back in for another 5-6.

So 40 minutes is my new quiche time, at least in this oven.

Speaking of Daiya, we tried to make pizza the other day but I only had time for one trip to the grocery store (having food allergies usually means trips to different stores as there's no one store that has everything I need), so I went to Trader Joes as we really like their pizza dough.  (Confession, I went, paid, got to C's house, forgot the dough, so back I went.)  They have a vegan mozzarella cheese that we haven't tried so I got it and was fairly disappointed in it.  Maybe it was the fact that we had real cheese on one side with the vegan cheese on the other (with a DMZ down the middle) so we cooked it at our normal 400 temperature, but the vegan cheese was almost a liquid when it came out of the oven.  It did harden as it cooled, but also didn't taste great.  I'm sticking with Daiya, at least for the time being and for pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment