Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Indian Vegetable Curry

A friend of mine gave me a curry simmer sauce as a thank you gift for watching her cat while she was gone on a trip, and it was a surprise because I had assumed that all (or most) pre-made Indian food already had dairy in it.  This one did not!  I believe she found it at Trader Joe's...


I had no idea how to use it, as Indian food is not something that I'm familiar with having rarely eaten it due to it's frequent amount of spice (too much for my 100% northern European taste buds) and the fact that it's frequently full of dairy (and sometimes mango too).  I had also never cooked it before, however the jar had some suggestions on the side and instructions too!  Fool proof cooking!

I thought about what veggies I would want with the sauce and chicken for a balanced meal and settled on green beans, red pepper and cauliflower.  While at the grocery store and not pleased with the chicken selection (no antibiotics please!  I had too many of those as a kid and don't want to become resistant), I decided to do a meatless Monday meal and add chickpeas instead of chicken.

I realized that the veggies would saute at different times, so I tried to be smart about it, but all of the recipes that I found said "saute for 5 minutes or until tender."  There have to be variations, so I figured that the green beans would take longer than the red pepper, and should have thrown the cauliflower in earlier too.

Heated up some oil, cleaned and trimmed the beans and threw them in.  Should have done the cauliflower at the same time, or just after if cutting into smaller pieces than I did, but I did the red pepper next.  Hind-sight 20-20.  After adding in the cauliflower I poured in about 1/4 c. water and then put a lid for about 5 minutes to help the veggies steam, then added the sauce and two cans of garbanzo beans.  I thought that was too much when I first poured them in, but too late, and in the end it turned out well.  Simmer for about 10-15 minutes and then served over rice.

So yummy!  Will be making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment