Tuesday, August 24, 2010

healthy life and family discoveries

I just saw a RMH tweet about how diabetics should eat on schedule...yup, so should people who are hypoglycemic and prone to sudden drops in blood sugar like me.  Hence, why I always have PB crackers around.

Got good news from the doctor about the appointment last week...perfectly normal test which means my body has actually been healing so all that sleep was worth it!  All those pre-cancerous cells that were removed in Feb have stayed gone.  I'll get another test next Feb to check and make sure it's all still normal, and if it is then I can go to once a year exams.  I won't be able to skip a year like others can because of my increased risk factor, but it's such a relief to know that my body actually can heal.  All the stress about it from the last 6 months has evaporated, well most of it.

The other night I got onto ancestry.com, where I had entered as much of my family as I knew, and was able to figure out some new people to add.  I couldn't figure out who the parent's of David Dows (my great-great-great grandfather) were until I did some searching and found his father was named Eleazer.  How's that for a family name?  From Eleazer I was able to trace it back two more generations to Laurance who was born in 1613 in England and moved to Charlestown, MA.  So that's my grandfather's side, but I couldn't figure out my grandmother's side which is how I have my family connection to this area.  So after some more searching I found that the Dingledines had moved from Germany to a farm between Timbervill and Forestville between 1835-1845.  Three sons, John, Adam and Samuel then fought in the Civil War on the Confederacy side.  That was surprising to me because I had previously thought that my entire family was Union.  Adam (my great-great-great uncle)  was wounded in the Battle of the Wilderness and brought back to Staunton where he died in the hospital.  He's buried in Timberville, which is about 2 miles from Broadway High School where I'm working right now.  If it's not raining after practice tonight I'm going to go find his grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment